Facts About Mold by SERVPRO of Chemung & Schuyler Counties
When you have a water damage in your home, if not properly mitigated, you are at risk of mold becoming a problem. Today, I'm going to tell you some facts about mold:
- Mold is a type of fungus.
- One of the most common type of mold is known as mildew.
- There are hundreds of different types of mold.
- Mold can live indoors or outdoors and grows best in damp, warm, and humid environments.
- Even though bathrooms and basements are typically moist areas prone to the growth of molds, any moist area in the household may harbor mold.
- Having a properly installed fan in the bathroom can help reduce the moist content in the room.
- Running a dehumidifier in your basement, especially during the humid months, can help prevent mold from growing.
- Some people experience allergic reactions or have negative health side effects when exposed to mold. The likely hood of this depends on the type of mold growing and the person.
- Controlling the moisture content in your home is the best way to prevent mold.
- Mold is not always able to be seen by the human eye.
- This is why we highly recommend having mold testing completed by an industrial hygienist.