When Unexpected Storm Damage Ruins Your Home by SERVPRO of Chemung & Schuyler Counties
Here in upstate NY, we often receive severe weather. If mother nature wreaks havoc on your property, use these 7 tips for cleaning up after a storm.
1. Get Protective Clothing. Prior to going inside your home, it is imperative that you wear protective boots, clothing, gloves, eye protection, and a mask. Flood waters carry sewage, bacteria and chemical compounds that may be dangerous.
2. Document the Damage. To help with insurance and FEMA claims, you really need to document the damage as soon as it's safe to do so. Take photos and videos of your entire home from each and every angle. Make sure to get exterior and interior photos!
3. Water Extraction. This, you may need help with. Flood water contains potentially dangerous bacteria, rodents, and insects. It's recommended that you have water extraction handled by a locally owned and operated professional disaster response team.
4. Open Windows. Circulating fresh air is an important step for cleaning up after flood damage and preventing mold growth.
5. Remove Personal Items. Furniture, clothing, and other items in the house can be removed to speed the drying. Prior to throwing away damaged items, take photographs, and have them evaluated to see if they can be cleaned and restored.
6. Remove Carpeting, Wet Drywall, and Insulation. If the storm water contains sewage, which many floods do, the flooring in the home will probably have to be removed. Drywall and insulation that has been touched by flood waters and saturated will also have to be removed. This helps prevent future mold growth.
7. Scrub Every Surface. Each and every surface should be scrubbed with a powerful disinfectant.
Your local SERVPRO of Chemung & Schuyler Counties is available 24x7 and stands at the ready to inspect, extract water, disinfect, dehumidify, and restore your home quickly.
This list might seem overwhelming, and it is. Cleaning up and restoring your home after a storm or water damage in New York requires hard work, proper tools, and specialized equipment.
SERVPRO of Chemung & Schuyler Counties is locally owned and operated, and we'll work directly with your insurance company for a stress-free claim. Call us 24/7 at (607) 846-3685.