If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (607) 846-3685

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Chemung & Schuyler Counties Fire & Smoke Damage? Call SERVPRO!

4/15/2019 (Permalink)

SERVPRO says electrical overloads can burn you Chemung & Schuyler Counties home.

Homeowners in Chemung & Schuyler Counties can sometimes take electricity for granted. There are so many electric devices we use in our homes today, that it might be a surprise when you have an electric overload. They can, unfortunately, happen, however, and even though there are precautions like fuses and circuit breakers to keep these overloads from starting a fire, there are some things you can also do to help prevent it from happening in the first place. 
 
If an electrical overload has left fire damage in your Chemung & Schuyler Counties home, you need the professional assistance of a remediation company. At SERVPRO, our staff is trained and experienced in cleaning up damages from fire, including smoke and soot and we work quickly so you can get your life back in order. Therefore, it is easy to see why SERVPRO is the right choice for your remediation needs. 
 
When the current of electricity going through a circuit is too much for it to handle, an electrical overload can happen. Usually, it occurs when you have too many devices plugged into a single circuit, but it can happen with older homes if you are trying to run an appliance that uses much energy. When the circuit overloads, it trips a breaker or blows a fuse. These are safeguards to stop your system from overheating and causing severe damage. However, they can malfunction, spark and create a blaze.
 
To avoid overload, knowing the amperage of your fuses or circuit breakers is a must. They should only be loaded to eighty percent of their amperage rating, and if you have a breaker that keeps tripping, you are going past this eighty percent. SERVPRO believes in providing information to our neighbors to always prevent fires and water damage. We live here, too.
 
When you call us for help because of a fire from an overload, our first step is to assess the damages. Even a small blaze produces acidic smoke and soot that needs to be cleaned up. Depending on how much smoke damage there is, there are various methods we can use to clean up the surrounding walls and ceiling. 
 
Dry cleaning for ceilings with light-to-medium soiling that is non-grease based can be used, and the dry cleaning sponge is also utilized to pre-clean excess soils before we wet clean. Wet cleaning is used on metal, painted, or wood with heavy dry ash or soot residue or oil-based residues that are light to heavy. Alternatively, peroxide active cleaning can be used on acoustical or other porous and nonporous surfaces, especially if they have heavy soiling.  The always standing by HEPA filtered vacuums do a great job of suctioning up loose particles on surfaces.
 
SERVPRO of Chemung & Schuyler Counties can assist you in restoring your home in Fort Collins or the surrounding areas after fire damage from a circuit overload. Reach out to us at (607) 846-3685 as soon as the flames are out; so we can get to you before the settled soot does more damage.

Other News

View Recent Posts