Are You Ready for Spring?
Winter here in Upstate New York is notoriously brutal. Because of this, we are always itching for Punxsutawney Phil to not see his little shadow on February 2nd so that we can get to Spring faster. The problem is, a faster Spring could mean too much rain too soon, or thawing snow from the mountains can bring severe flooding. Whether in the streets or in your home, the results can be devastating. Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in the United States.
Here are some tips to keep in mind as Spring comes closer:
- Never drive or walk through flooded streets. It only takes six inches of moving water to sweep a person off their feet and 12 inches to move a car.
- Floods are expensive! A few inches of water in a 1,000 square foot home could cost more than $10,000.
- Most insurance does not cover flood damage. Only flood insurance will cover the damage from floods. Speak with your insurance agent to learn more and remember flood insurance takes 30 days to take effect, so purchase now to protect your home and your family.
- Talk with your family and make an emergency plan for you and don't forget your pets! No matter the disaster, it's always a good idea to have emergency supplies ready at home, at work, and in the car.
- Lastly, if you do find your self with a flooded basement or flood damage to your home, call us! We have crews available 24/7/365.